TODAYS FEATURED VIDEOSAPNA VIDEOS - UPDATED WEEKLY
Hot off the WebAPNA INFOTAINMENT NEWS
Police have raised concerns over the three fire cases that were recorded in the last 24 hours.
The first incident occurred at Verata, Wailevu, when a 3 bedroom wooden house belonging to a police officer was destroyed in a fire at around 2pm yesterday.
The cause of the fire is yet to be determined.
A 56-year-old farmer of Naidi Village, Savusavu, also lost his home in a fire yesterday afternoon.
The cause of the fire is yet to be ascertained and the cost of damage is estimated to be $100,000.
In the third incident, a two bedroom house belonging to a 52-year-old was destroyed in a fire last night.
The incident occurred at the Waiyanitu Settlement, Nakavu, Navua.
The fire is believed to have started from a lit mosquito coil that was placed on a newspaper near the bed.
Police want to talk to the four occupants of a 1990s white stationwagon after a schoolboy said the men tried to lure him into their car.
The 9-year-old said he was waiting for his brother near Invercargill's Pleasure and Marine Boatyard when the Holden Commodore stationwagon pulled up alongside the footpath on Friday afternoon.
When the men, possibly aged between 16 and early 20s, offered him a snapback hat and jacket to get in the car, the boy said he started getting scared. He knew something wasn't right.
"They were trying to offer me a hat and jacket and I already had a jacket on."
Carrying an armload of boxes, the boy backed away, but one of the men got out of the car and approached him, he said.
Another man opened the car door and vomited in the gutter.
"I kept on saying no and they kept asking me to get in the car."
He had been waiting near the boatyard where his mum had told him to meet his brother.
Pleasure and Marine sales manager Nicole Moffett said she was on her afternoon break when the incident occurred. A large boat obscured her view, but she heard the men trying to lure the boy into the car.
Brendon McCullum's expression summed up the first ODI of a long summer about right: South Africa killed New Zealand softly at Bay Oval in Mt Maunganui yesterday.
New Zealand had little preparation for the start of the three-match rubber and it showed in their batting, as the South Africans eased their way to a six-wicket win with 11 balls to spare.
They reached 230, chiefly through a rousing 99 off 82 balls from Luke Ronchi - his best ODI score - who oversaw a record-setting last-wicket stand of 74 with Trent Boult.
New Zealand's bowlers strove hard, the fielding was energetic, but AB de Villiers, in particular, and JP Duminy were just too good chasing a smallish target.
When South Africa were 97 for four, New Zealand were well in the hunt. However captain and man of the match de Villiers and lefthander Duminy's unbroken 139-run stand decided the match.
SOURCE NZ HERALD
"Low-life" thieves stole an Auckland family's courtesy car then logged into a 12-year-old boy's Facebook page and taunted him, saying "Catch me if you can I'm the ginger bread man".
As well as losing his laptop, Christian Swan, who has danced for about five years, lost made-to-measure troll dance costumes, shoes and stage makeup - stolen when the car they were in was taken from a downtown Auckland carpark on Saturday.
But hours after discovering that his MacBook Pro was gone, the Belmont Intermediate pupil from Bayswater was "scared and upset" to discover his Facebook page had been updated by the thieves.
"HAHA ARE YOU MISSING ANYTHING BETCH CATCH ME IF YOU CAN IM THE GINGER BREAD MAN," had been written in his account by someone in Otara.
The vehicle was found damaged and abandoned in South Auckland, and Chris's parents, Matt and Penny say the total value of the stolen goods was about $3000.
SOURCE: NZ HERALD
A man was shot several times by police in Waikato overnight after allegedly firing at officers.
The incident followed an alleged domestic incident at Kerepehi about 9.50pm, Hamilton police Area Commander Inspector Greg Nicholls said.
Details of the incident were given at a press conference in Paeroa today.
Following the domestic dispute the a man and a woman from the house left in a vehicle which was later stopped by police on State Highway 2, Mr Nicholls said.
"Police were fired upon and we engaged with the offender.
"He was shot a number of times," Mr Nicholls said.
The 50-year-old man was flown to Waikato Hospital by helicopter and was in a stable condition.
"As you can appreciate we are in a formative stage of the investigation and details are scant at present.
"What I can say is there is a lot of work ahead of us, there are three investigations that are currently underway.
"One looks at the circumstances of the event, the second looks at the policy, practice and procedures that were carried out during the course of the incident, and the third is one conducted by the Independent Police Conduct Authority."
A senior officer from outside of the district was being brought in to oversee the investigations, Mr Nicholls said.
The woman was in a relationship with the man, 3News reported.
She was not injured during the incident, but police did not know how she came to be in the vehicle with the man.
SOURCE : NZ HERALD
Read more (4)
There's a depth of character to Colin Slade that enabled him to not only land the best pressure goal-kick of the season, but also to make him the sort of player the All Blacks are going to want around.
And that has made life kind of awkward as the All Blacks announce their squad for Europe today. While Slade is absolutely a man the All Blacks want to have, there are some they want more.
Slade might be included and he might not. He and Ryan Crotty are seen as the two most vulnerable as coach Steve Hansen has already confirmed Daniel Carter will be included and Sonny Bill Williams is almost certainly going to be taken, too, having earned an exemption to be picked.
SOURCE NZ HEARALD
The brother-in-law of Arthur Thomas has been described as a "potentially significant witness" by police reviewing the 1970 cold-case murder of Harvey and Jeannette Crewe.
In a statement to the Herald, Detective Superintendent Andy Lovelock said Buster Stuckey "represents a potentially significant witness, since he has never been formally interviewed".
He said Mr Stuckey had been identified by Mr Thomas during a police interview in 1970 as someone who had access to items on the Thomas farm.
Mr Thomas, a Waikato farmer, was twice convicted of double murder on the basis of evidence taken from his farm at Pukekawa - then pardoned after questions arose over the conviction.
Mr Lovelock said: "In October 1970, it was Arthur Thomas who disclosed to Detective Inspector [Bruce] Hutton that Buster Stuckey was a person who had the same access to items on the Thomas farm as he did. Since the status of the murders is 'unsolved', police cannot rule out that one or more of the significant witnesses may have been involved in some way."Read more (8)